Sunday, November 18, 2007

have you ever...

...gone through the process of creating a profile on any of the Match.com-ish sites? If so, have you had any luck finding someone you actually liked?

I visit those sites every once in a while...just to see who might be out there. I only paid to join one once, and found the experience to be pretty depressing. I can be rejected for free. I wasn't happy about paying someone so that I could be rejected repeatedly for the next 3 months. It seems like most of the men my age are hoping that some perky little 20-yr-old will see their profile & fall madly in love with them. HA! And to them I say, "good luck with that."

Other times when I visit these sites, I read through the profiles and think...I don't want to kiss a lot of frogs before I meet a prince. I'm too old to go through this process. I just want the prince. When I saw my dog at the Humane Society, and our eyes met, I knew in an instant that this would be my dog...even though there was another family there before me that wanted to visit with him. I just knew. I want that to happen with one of these profiles. I want to look at someone's picture and just know. But honestly, there's just no way to tell much about a person from an online profile, and it feels really risky to stick my neck out there on the chopping block, close my eyes, and just hope and pray that no one's going to lower that ax again.

To further complicate matters, I've already met my match but he happens to be unavailable, which is a huge frustration and annoyance. But sadly, I compare every profile I read to him. No one else measures up...because no one that good needs an online profile to find someone. So, what does that say about my assumption about the men who are on there? Maybe my attitude about online "dating" is just skewed. Maybe.